domingo, 5 de junio de 2011

Addict ( no, not Dior 's )....

I am an addict, yes i admit it. No smokes, no booze, no fetisjes for Louboutins /Manolo's, no mind enhancing stuff, but tatatatata....fumes ! I just love holding my bottles as if they were my babies, gently opening them, enhaling their aroma's and being able to let them transport me to memories from the past or dreams of the future. My most recent experience has been with the long lost and forgotten hit from 1990, Noa Noa by Otto Kern. I came across this one on Evilbay and i got struck by lightning...how i used to love this scent when i was much younger. I asked my good friend Jana in the US ( she owns this wonderful shop packed with hidden gems ) about it and to my surprise, she had bottles available. We decided on a lovely swap and a few weeks later, i had the pleasure to re-experience this beautiful perfume. Its a bit hard to describe, its youthful, but not in the fruity floral kind of way that we still get bombarded with. It has a lot of my favourite notes ( amber, tonka, heliotrope, rose, balsam, orange ), so no surprise this works well on me. try it, if you have the chance, ist getting rare these days.



Since i discovered MUA a few years ago, i feel i am not the only one with this passion for perfumes, it's good to know i am not ' ill ', that i don't need ' professional help ' , that its ok to have this urge. I have built up quite a collection of wonderful beauties, many of them rare. I often feel like an antique hunter , browsing antique markets or garage sales to find that dusty bottle of a 1920's Guerlain a greatgrandmother had forgotten all about. In this context, i will never forget this story. On a boring evening, a few years ago, i was browsing German Ebay and stumbled upon a really bad and blurry picture of what seemed a vintage Dior splash bottle with the houndstooth pattern. You could not even read the label of the box properly and the auction was coming to an end in a few minutes. There were no bids on it, probably because the seller made a few spellingmistakes in the description aswell ( besides from the pic ), DIOR was DIAR and not much further info to attract buyers. I had no time to contact the seller about it, to ask what the scent was or even if there was anything left in the bottle...but still, i took my chance and put in a maximum bid of 4 euros. Needless to say i won the auction ; )
A few days later a spooky package arrived on my doorstep, very poorly wrapped, so a wonder it made it here intact. I opened it and after pinching myself a few times to make sure i was not suffering from dreams that real perfumelovers suffer from on many occasions ( finding the deal of a lifetime ), i realised this dream was reality. Before my eyes stood , on my kitchentable, a perfect, stunningly beautiful , in mint condition bottle of vintage DIORAMA. It was full and smelled like heaven. I held on to it a few months and then decided to sell it on, a bidder was willing to pay over 500 euros for it and told me he was soo happy with this deal he got ! Now i own the current Diorama and although its not the same scent anymore, it still is one of the best ever made imo.

Have a lovely day, my fellow sniffin's friends !

XXX

Eve

1 comentario:

  1. I know just what you mean. I think half the fun of our perfume obsession is the hunt. I've never found anything so wonderful like you did with the vintage Diorama yet, but I keep looking. I'll have to try Noa sometime, it sounds lovely.

    ResponderEliminar